View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 11:16

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

Wow. I've never gotten a negative reply when I've mentioned Atkins. In fact, more often than not the person has mentioned doing low-carb themselves. I have enough co-workers (in a school with 50 teachers plus administrative and support staff) doing low carb that I baked low carb brownies for our faculty luncheon the other day. They disappeared rapidly while the "regular" desserts had left-overs.

I think it may be due to the fact that I live in Huntsville, the "Rocket City", with so many high-tech industries and an above-average educational level (8.3% of the total population is an engineer of some type), that most people don't believe everything they hear. They research it first. Maybe I would get a different response elsewhere in Alabama.

When people ask me why I'm doing Atkins (they don't think I need to lose any more weight - although they haven't seen me naked!) I usually tell them it is to control my cholesterol and triglyceride levels, then go on to explain how those have improved since starting this WOE. That hasn't gotten any negative responses either, but raised eyebrows that it actually works.

I'm waiting, though. I'm sure that sooner or later I'll get the "you're killing yourself" speech. I'll just rattle off my bloodwork results from the last few years.

Joan (not an engineer but with a master's degree anyway)