#13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 13:50
"Princess" of Norway

Plan: Atkins / Lindberg
Stats: 187/169/143 Female 162 cm
BF:Yes
Progress: 41%
Default Hi there !

Just a comment from one with a European edition of DANDR. Published 2003. It's slightly different from the American/Canadian edition. I've e-mailed Atkins support a while ago, asking about the differences, as they do NOT make sence to me,. We are supposed to follow a programme, right ? They have not found it important enough to answer me yet. But it's just 2 months since I wrote them !

You guys are talking about cups of salad and vegs, - in my book (page 125) it says:

"Salad vegetables - You can have 230-340 g (8-12 oz) pr. day: Alfalfa sprouts, bok choy, celery, chicory, chives, cucumber, daikon, fennel, lamb's lettuce, lettuce, mushrooms, parsley, peppers, raddichio, radishes, rocket, romaine lettuce, sorrel."

No mentioning of 2 cups and I've measeured, this is far more than 2 cups !
On page 126:

"Other vegetables - You can have 140-200 g (5-7 oz) pr day if salad does not exceed 230 g (8 oz) - these vegetables are slightly higher in carbohydrate content than the salad vegetables: artichoke hearts, aubergine, bamboo shoots, bean sprouts, beet greens, broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, celery root (celeriac) chard, courgettes, dandelion greens, french beans, kale, leeks, mangetout-peas, okra, onion, pumkin, rhubarb, sauercraut, spring greens, spring onions (green onions), spagetti squash, spinach, sumer squash, tomato, turnips and water chestnuts".

In addition to the above there is spices and herbs,- salad garnishes etc.

I have followed this since July....and belive me, it's really hard to eat to much of salad and vegetables. I feel I'm growing rabbits teeth and the green stuff is coming out of my ears !

I also noticed avocado (Hass - Calefornians with black skin) is not on the acceptable food list in my book. BUT it's mentioned as part of an Induction menue on page 133. "Breakfast: Three egg omelette with avocado, Mozzarella cheese and tomate, Decaf coffee with cream".

I've read my book several times from cover to cover. From what I've learned from the book and by own expericence: I don't think you're eating enough. If what you posted is your daily average menue, it's to low in fat and also i NET carbs. To high in protein ....... I've entered your daily menue in Fitday:

Total: 872 Fat:29 262 31% Sat:11 95 11% Poly:5 44 5% Mono:11 95 11%Carbs:22 64 8% Fiber:6 0 0%Protein:128 510 61%Alcohol:0 0 0%

Total calories: 872 - far to low (see * below)
Net carbs: 16 - 8 % - to low
Protein: 128 - 61 % - to high (see ** below)
Fat: 29 - 31 % - to low (see ** below)

All this without counting the nuts. Thing is walnuts is NOT allowed during induction. According to Atkins Center, they recommend only macadamia nuts or almonds and that's after the first two weeks of induction or for OWL. You might have nuts after the first two weeks, but have to try out if they stall you as stalling is very common eating nuts.

* This is not a count calorie WOE, but Atkins recommend 10-12 times your current body weight (in lbs) in calories pr day.

** Atkins recommend that your daily calories have the following breakdown: 70-75 % should come from fat, 25-30 % from protein and 5 % from carbs.

I think the main thing with this WOE is to find what's best for you, within the limits Atkins gives you. If you can have nuts without stalling, - by all means have them. But this is NOT a low calorie/low fat diet. If you don't eat enough you will not have the metabolic advantage and your body will go into starvation mode. I had the exact same menue as you, and stalled for 8 weeks. Until a good forum friend and one of the moderators kindly went through my Fitday, telling me what I possibly did wrong. (Thanks to Becky and Rosebud). I have a high metabolic resistance, it's my 3rd time on Atkins since 1980, I'm "older" and until a year ago I took medication for hypothyroid (underactive thyroid gland). I expect to lose slowly. If I can keep an average of losing 1 lb a week I'll be VERY happy ! It has taken me a long time to find how this WOE works for me. I have tried and failed - many times. I know now I cannot have macadamia nuts, - I'm trying almonds next ! Just started OWL after 4 months on Induction and I'm having a hard time eating enough.

I wish you all the best ! Please observe I can only comment from my own experiences, the information I have received from Atkins Support AND my European version of DANDR. Others may disagree and have other experiences ..... take a look at them all and find your own way ! And use this forum for all it's worth !

I might add that I have mixed experience with Atkins Support. Some times you'll meet a kind and knowledgeable person. Next time you'll meet a person who seem to have missed the key points of this WOE, rude and without any knowledge...(this is an ongoing discussion in several other forums on the net).. but that's a whole other thread !