View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 21:42

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 151/148/125 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Is this website right?

Okay I know this is the complete opposite side of the spectrum but this IS a support forum for the Atkins WOL, and that is the WOL I chose to follow...I am also underweight and have some form of an eating disorder (call it what you want)..BTW moderaters-I think we need an eating disorder section on here. I have been searching all night for info on how fast the weight will come back on, etc etc...This is some of the info Ive gotten...
Quote:
What many people have trouble accepting is the set-point theory. Set-point is the weight range in which your body is programmed to weigh and will fight to maintain that weight. Everyone has a set-point and just like you have no control over how tall you will be, or what color your eyes and hair will be, you also have no control over what your set-point will be. Your body is biologically and genetically determined to weigh within a certain weight range.
Everyone that has ever tried dieting knows just how hard it is to lose weight and keep it off. In the first few weeks of dieting, weight is usually lost, but almost always gained back. Many people become frustrated because after a few weeks of dieting, they usually stop losing weight or start gaining it back, even though they are still restricting their food intake. That is a sign that the body is trying to fight to retain its natural weight.
What happens is this: when you go below your body’s natural set-point, your metabolism will react and start to slow down to try and conserve energy. Your body will start to sense it’s in a state of semi-starvation and will try to use the few calories it receives more effectively. You may start to sleep more, your body temperature will drop, which is why you hear so many anorexics complaining of being so cold, and after too much weight loss many women experience the loss of their menstrual cycle. Basically their reproductive system shuts down because their bodies probably could not handle a pregnancy. Many people that are dieting also experience uncontrollable urges to binge. That is because your body is telling you that it needs more food than you are providing it to function properly. All of this shows how the body is fighting to maintain its predetermined weight range.

Even though I am now feeding myself more calories...since Im below an ideal weight I am still in *starvation* mode? Has my metabolism slowed and how do I go about fixing that?

Quote:
At first, the weight will go mostly to your stomach, thighs... exactly those areas where you don’t want it to go. That’s the bad news. The good news is that it will take some time, but it will spread out more evenly again. It will, I promise. So try not to worry too much about that.

Okay can someone explain to me how it *spreads out* cuz that really doesnt have me looking forward to having to gain the weight back. Though I have decided that I am going to gain weight because I DONT want any of this *fur* type stuff they say starts to grow on you..Ew...Here is the website where I got all that info from..http://www.geocities.com/spacey_christina/ Thanks in advance for all the help
Sponsored Links