View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 14:49
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

If you're referring to Dana Carpender's mockahlua recipe, I can certainly endorse it, because that's what I use as a base cheesecake recipe. I usually make it with Dana's almond or hazelnut crust and leave the vanilla out for a plain vanilla cheesecake, which I top with berries and whipped cream or homemade strawberry sauce. The texture is quite dense and creamy if you're careful about how you baking it (overbaking makes it drier).

I've also had good results with a chocolate marble version, in which I dissolve 3 tbsp cocoa, 1 tbsp splenda, 1 tbsp vanilla DaVinci, and a pinch of instant coffee in 3 tbsp warm water, then mix in 1 cup of the batter. Pour the rest of the batter into the springform, then pour the chocolate batter into the springform in a wide ring and swirl gently with a spoon. I will also sometimes forget about the sugar alcohols and melt down 3 Pure Delite dark chocolate bars, spread them over the crust, and let it cool before pouring in the batter and bake it as normal. And if you're *really* not worried about sugar alcohols, a chocolate ganache topping made with Pure Delite is awfully tasty!

I should note that I usually bake at 300 instead of 325 as in the recipe, which seems to give me less trouble with cracking. It's really important to judge doneness by looking at the center of the cake rather than by the stated time, and 50 minutes at 300 is plenty for my oven. If you're at a high altitude, that probably will affect you too. Chilling time also makes a big difference -- I always chill at least overnight, and two nights is better.

Can you tell I love to mess with cheesecakes ?