Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:06
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbrowne
I started looking around vegan sites (very bored this afternoon) after reading these posts and came across some posts that said that animal bones and eggs were used in the production of wine - I almost barfed! Has anyone heard of this?
hi Vicki

I've never heard of bones being used, but I know from my home-made wine making days that egg white is sometimes added to finished wine as a "fining" or clarifying agent. It attracts yeast particles that have died at the end of fermentation, and because it's heavier weight than alcohol, the egg white with the yeast cells eventually settle on the bottom, leaving nice clear wine on top. Most modern home-made wine kits use a chemical called "isinglass" to clarify wine.

Possibly egg shells or bone meal would have the same effect? I'm not sure - they're both high in calcium. I've heard that in the days before percolators and filter drip pots .. people would add a crushed egg shell to coffee in order to help the grounds settle on the bottom so that it would be clear to pour into your cup.

~~~~

Some militant vegans are even against eating HONEY because it's an insect product.

Doreen