View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 08:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Yes, mercury accumulates in fat and nerve tissue over time. So the warning isn't just for pregnant & nursing mothers .. it's for all women of childbearing age (who *may* choose to have children in future, even if it's not in the picture right now ) .. and for all children male & female under the age of 12.

The risk is highest with the larger predatory fish, obviously, since they would concentrate not only the mercury they take in from their environment but also mercury from the smaller fish that they eat. Shark, swordfish, king mackerel, tilefish and ahi tuna (yellowfin) have been on the warning list for years .. canned albacore and smaller tuna species have been exempt until now. FWIW, skipjack is one of the smallest types of tuna and rates lowest on the mercury scale, although it's not zero

I still have tuna 2 - 3 x per week, but buy the small 3 oz (85g) tins. I've started eating more salmon (wild not farmed) and sardines. You can get both of those canned skinless & boneless if you hate the thought of eating the skin and bones ... but I find once it's all smushed up with mayonnaise, chopped onion and celery - you don't notice anyway And the bones, which are very soft, are excellent source of pure calcium.

Doreen