View Single Post
  #174   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 18:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I believe the reactions are more complex (exist in more dimensions) than a "calm to rage" scale can measure.
For example, male human abusers adopt one of two main strategies - call them "ogres" and "cobras".

Well...I was talking about normal, non-abusive, non-pathological personalities here as far as range of reactions go and I'd also like to point out that the above (true abuse) is an action, not a reaction. Abusers don't need a reason to abuse, nor do they usually do it in response to some aggrivation (although they may claim one, either real or imagined, as justification for their abuse) they do it because they find pleasure or a thrill or some other form of gratification from it such as a feeling of control over the victim. They have pathological pesonalities and as such, I wouldn't consider them the norm as far as range of reactions goes.

Quote:
Um, he not only admitted that his penis had shrunk, but also that his wife complained, and that yet another shrunkage operation was coming. I'd say any one of those would tend to put him in a poor light

Put him in a poor light? I fail to see how, other than as a male being open about something very personal (something that in a male could be interpreted as a weakness in this society). All of those items he "shared" make him appear the victim and his wife the victimizer; "poor me...I had a childhood injury and needed surgery to correct it and now my penis is smaller and my wife is complaining about it and that with more surgery coming up!" Nor is his wife being given any chance to correct his version of the story...you only get his side (remember what I said earlier about there being 3 sides to every story?).

Interesting article, although it has been posted before in the Research/Media Watch forum. It seems to underscore everything that a lot of us have already said: lecturing and belittling don't work even when they come from someone whose advice and opinion most people respect and should be objective: their own physicians. Instead of motivating people to lose the weight, it causes them to avoid the doctor completely to avoid the humiliation that they have come to expect from such visits and because of that their health suffers.