View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 16:49
100% pork rind free

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 215/182.5/180 Female 5 ' 10 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Most American offices are junk-food-laden enough without a formal "free food at work" policy, especially this time of year. Candy and treats are everywhere. Most people that I know think that Atkins=heart attack, but everyone I know agrees that a diet of M&Ms and soda is bad for you. You should have some common ground with your co-workers there.

You have a legitimate complaint and I think it's worth talking to HR and the owner/CEO about it (again). HR is usually where workplace wellness campaigns begin. Many companies have formal wellness programs with everything from weight-loss plans to casual lunchtime seminars on health issues. It's a hot trend. Most businesses understand that healthy employees are happier, more productive, and keep costs down (particularly health insurance costs).

If you go in there guns blazing, implying that your hypoglycemia is the company's fault (even though it may be, I don't know), and throwing around terms like "equal opportunity employer," you're going to put HR on the defensive and probably won't get very far. An Equal Opportunity Employer is one who does not discriminate in hiring, promotion, or discipline decisions based on an employee's legally protected status, like race or gender. It has nothing to do with providing vegetables alongside the cookie tray.

(However, if you want to scare them into action with legal terms, you may very well have an argument under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), particularly if you band together with your diabetic co-workers. Let me know if you'd like to hear more on this.)

I think your best bet is a plea for a healthier work environment. Talk about the welfare of everyone and how it will help the company's bottom line. I know that, when I started Atkins, I was amazed at the number of times a day I turned down sweets in the office. I felt like I said "no" all day long. It really scared me when I realized that normally I would have said "yes" every time! Having the stuff around all day causes people to eat more than they would otherwise, it's just a fact.

Thanks,
Rosa