View Single Post
  #168   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 15:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I'm glad your friend took it so calmly. It didn't work out that well for someone I know who made a similar request/complaint to her husband. He screamed at her for 15 minutes, hit her and then left her. If that's not a "kaboom", I don't know what is. Both are examples of reactions at the extreme ends of the spectrum (total calm vs. total rage) and I suspect that the reaction that would be more representative of males in general would likely be somewhere in the middle as are the reactions of most women.
As I said before, it's a rare person who can handle criticism of something very personal like the length of one's penis or the amount of body fat you have without at least some degree of emotion and/or hurt feelings. It baffles me a bit how you could reasonably expect otherwise. Keep in mind also that when someone is relating a story to you intended to elicit sympathy, they rarely, if ever, tell it in a manner that puts them in a bad light. Someone I know once said, "There's three sides to every story; your side, their side and the truth". It's certainly no well-kept secret that your body size is a somewhat sensitive topic and this applies to men as well as women. Perhaps the difference is that women in general are more vocal in expressing their reactions to such criticism than men are.

Quote:
I like my husband's approach: Once, while looking at our wedding photographs, but before embarking on this WOE, I mentioned, "I think I've lost weight since the wedding."
He said, "I'm taking the fifth."

LOL. Mine just makes the sounds and motions of a rifle being cocked (implication being that's a loaded question) and then we both laugh. Even though he knows that I wouldn't ask the question without being prepared to hear an honest answer even if I didn't like it.