#1   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/165/138 Female 5,8 1/2
BF:
Progress:
Default Bipolar Parent

Hi,
I am new to this forum, but have been lurking for quite sometime. Quickly, about myself. I started a low fat diet in January 2003 and lost 40 lbs. Started Atkins in July and lost 30+ pounds. I feel and look great. I have spoken to only a couple of low carbers who says that this diet has helped their depression.

I had looked through this forum as well as the parenting board and thought I'd ask my questions here.

You know I really do feel great. And I want nothing more than for my 7 year old son to feel this good. He was dx 1 1/2 yrs. ago and has been on many different meds. He is BP,ADHD,ODD,Aspergers and Anxiety disorder. I would like to try to put him on a sugar-free low carb diet. Many foods I eat he loves also so I'm hoping this will work out. He has gained alot of weight from the meds and that's another reason why I'd like him on this diet. More of a modified Maintence Atkins.

I'd like to ask roughly how much carbs per day would I be looking at. 100? I understand Atkins Weight loss is not for children, but I'd like to have more control over his high sugar and carb intake. A few days ago he was home sick from school and kept making himself toast. He really doesn't need all that bread. And definatley doesn't need all that sugar. and I'm hoping this will help his hyperactive/manic phases.

I had a traumatic experience last year and developed anxiety attacks where i broke out in rashes on my hands and arms. No doctor could help me. Just gave me creams and Xanax. Nothing worked. And since being on Atkins I've had no problem and my arms cleared up. So, I know Atkins helps other than just weight loss.

So, I'm really hoping that I can set up a plan for my son to help him with his disorders. I'd really like to hear some success stories for those who have BP and if Low carbing has helped you.
Sponsored Links