View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 12:03

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I had the same heart problems as you and was also on a beta blocker. Worked like a charm on the heart rate but I gained a ton of weight. I am also a true carb addict. Once I stopped eating the junk, I stopped needing the beta blocker. I think there are a very few people in this world that can eat anything they want and not have any adverse effects (not always just weight gain). Anyway, I don't think people are born with any of these conditions (hypoglycemia, type II diabetes), it's more that they may have a disposition towards developing them, they aren't preordained. We are responsible for what we eat but it sure would be hard to make the right choices when the wrong things are being provided for free.

There are people who don't need/crave the bad stuff so they sail through life without developing a bad relationship with food. My daughter is lucky to be one of those people. A few M&Ms, a half a piece of cake - all done. She's 18 and has been turning down sweets since she was a toddler. But it's not like she uses willpower to stop eating. She just doesn't care for the bad carbs. She has always been a salad person. Her one weakness is spaghetti and she only asks for it every two weeks or so.

She is in the minority however. Having high carb, high calorie junk around (tasty and free no less) is sure to lead most people into making poor choices. It's eat the junk or nothing where you are. Before I began lcing, the temptation would have been too much for me and I would have spent the day grazing. There is no reason that they can't offer some healthy alternatives. It may be hard to store fresh veggies but even some small apples/clementines and some cheese sticks would be a big improvement. Maybe you should let them know about the effects the transfats they are pumping into their employees may have on their workforce in the future. That may scare them enough to offer some healthy foods.