Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 20:33
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayeux79
I have been on induction and I have the bars about 4 times a week. (Atkins Morning Start) However, I count the full amount of carbs (14 grams in these) instead of counting the net carbs. I am a student and constantly on the go so these bars make a great breakfast for me.

It makes sense to count more than the net carbs, but do you know that sugar alcohol and glycerine are not the only problem? Low carb breads seem to have more carbs than their net carb amounts too. They usually contain no sugar alcohol and their fibers could not be resposible.

Our bodies can convert upto 60% of our protein intake into carbs. My body seems to limit this process to vegetable proteins. So, if a slice of bread contains 3 carbs and 7 grams of protein, it affects me as if it contains 7 carbs.

Sometime ago I made a simple and easy to remember formula to calculate the actual carbs as they affect my ketosis state. Here it is:

Effective carbs = Net carbs + 1/2(Sugar alcohol + Glycerine + Veg. Protein)

As you know, our bodies are different so this formula is not guaranteed to work for other people.