#9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-30-01, 15:10

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 184/181/150
BF:
Progress: 9%
Cool Hi Brenda

Here's my story:

I started my period at 12-13. I was always VERY regular. Thin & healthy. I also got preg. twice in my late teens. I miscarried. When I was 20, I started gaining weight, and my periods stopped. I too thought I was pregnant. So I went to the doctors and they told me I had a thyroid problem. Put me on meds and after starting to feel better I stopped them. (not knowing I wasn't supposed to do that and was to be on that for the rest of my life) But the doctor did tests, and tests and tests on me and my thyroid never went bad again.

So I started working out, and watching what I ate and lost weight. At that time I think I had gained 20-30 lbs. So my periods came back, and I felt great.

Then I met my hubby to be, and it all started up again, only this time I gained 40-50lbs. And not getting my periods. SO... off to the doctors I went only to be told the same old BS they tell you: You're too fat, lose weight and everything will come back. Only this time the diet wouldn't work, I was exhausted all the time and had no energy. So I got fet up with doctors who only told me I was too fat, and I quit going to see them. A couple years after that, I started growing a couple hairs on my chin and it got progressively worse, along with other symptoms. Still once every 2-3 years I went to see a doctor, and I tried all the diets, and the weight loss pills...etc...etc...etc... Never worked so I decided to give all that up for good. However my symptoms worsened to the max. (ie losing hair on head, skin discoloration (indication of insulin problems), skin tags (ver small) and all sorts of icky feelings)

This summer I got a very excited call from my aunt who was watching a TV talk show and they were talking about PCOS. So she made me promise to go on the internet and go check it out. So I reluctantly said ok and went to see what this was all about. I WAS SHOCKED!!!!!! I started reading about it and the more I read the more tears started falling. I couldn't believe that someone was describing ME, and my horrible medical problems and NOT blaming it all on "YOU'RE TOO FAT"... I just cried so much. So afterwards I found a doctor, insisted to see an OBGYN, who didn't help much. He was certain I had PCOS from exterior tests but when the bloodwork came back everything was normal (story of my life) So I went back to the 1st doctor and insisted (after doing more research) on seeing an endo.

She confirmed by comparing my LH/FSH ratio (which is what I had told my doctor) that I indeed had PCOS. I can't tell you how much I felt like calling up that doctor and tell him I TOLD YOU SO YOU INCOMPETANT QUACK, but I resisted. He had put me on Met, after much resistance, for 500mg per day. I had called him previous to my meeting with the endo to increase my dosage but he refused telling me that if 500mg didn't work, more wouldn't help!!! HA!!! SHE increased it to 1500mg and said he didn't know what he was talking about!!!

So I started met in and around October, and increased my dosage on December 1st to 1500mg. On december 31st I got my periods naturally for the 1st time in a long time. I was so happy... If the Met is working, I may get my periods this week if my calculations are correct. WISH ME LUCK!!

I started the Low Carb (CAD) diet on January 2nd, and as of this morning I've lost 12lbs. 12!!!!!!! I almost cried when I saw the numbers on the scales... I'm hoping to go all the way down to 120. Right now I'm at 181.5lbs.

This is my story of horrors, but I can see a light at the end of the tunnel for the 1st time in 10 years. In march I will start back on Clomid to see if it will help. Maybe one day I'll be able to come on here and tell you all:

I AM PREGNANT!!!!!!!!!!

Until then, I keep hoping, and praying, and hope others pray for me.

Josee