View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 16:35

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I was shocked at the part of the report dealing with advertising to kids. I never knew there had been a (short-lived) push to stop or limit advertising to kids!

To be honest, that didn't surprise me a whole lot. There's too much at stake to allow something like that to go unchallenged by the food industry.
What did get my ire up a bit is how the advertising excecutive could sit there and say, "Sure, we advertise to kids, but parents need to take responsibility for their children's nutrition. It's not our fault if all that advertising causes kids to badger their parents for our products." No argument with that, but dude...if parents should be taking responsibility for their children's nutrition, why are you marketing directly to the kids? Market to the parents! Of course, many parents have (at least I HOPE) more sense than to allow their kids to live on a steady diet of junk food are are a bit more immune to the marketing ploys than children, so of course they go after the kids. Then again...maybe not.
Of course, my DH pointed out one simple solution to that one: Turn off the TV.