View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 00:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/104/103 Female 61"
BF:
Progress: 99%

don't get me started on the food they serve at schools, it is terrible! The worst kind of sugary and refined carbs. I have never bought my food at school, low carbing or not! my sister is always bringing home junk though, like today she brought home what was left of a sugar cookie w/an 8" diameter, though more often its a slurpee type thing.

and have any of you heard of the huge overproduction of corn we have in the US? a couple weeks ago we had a guest speaker in one of my classes, Michael Pollan, who talked to us about corn overproduction, agribusiness, and how it affects our food supply. Corn (which is made into corn syrup, and fed to unwitting cows) is so cheap and plentiful, and food sellers have figured out, for example, that they can sell portions of chips twice as large for 50 cents more, for only a few cents extra cost to them. Besides the fact that corn is a very productive plant, the government subsidy (sp?) policies for corn changed a few decades ago, the new policy making corn more available by encouraging farmers to sell their crop regardless of how much surplus there is.

I'd never known why cows needed antibiotics before! The whole thing is fascinating, though very, very disturbing.