View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 15:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think ItsTheWooo makes some very good points, and many times I've been grateful that eating this way mostly requires plain food that has yet to be removed from the supermarket (though I'm sure they have thought of it.)
I started eating low fat in the mid-late eighties, when low fat was hard to find in the supermarket. Weight Watcher packaged foods were about my best bet, since that's how they cut calories/points.
But within a couple of years the low fat thing exploded, probably because a lot of other people started eating this way too, and there was a market.
I think the same thing is already happening with low carb. Good or bad, business in this country is market driven. If a lot of people get it into their heads that they want to wear t-shirts with glittery sayings, someone else will make it for them to buy.
(Wait, that already happened...it was the seventies...)
Yes, a lot of people are dissing low carb, but on the part of a great many doctors & nutritionists, I think it's not conscious (I'm going to make more money by steering people towards sugar) as it is unconscious (they aren't thinking) because they have spent so long staking their professional lives and careers on low fat.
Science is full of stories of scientists who did not change their minds and grasp the new paradigms until years after they were accepted practice. Low carb is going to be the same way.