View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 14:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: // Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi Katlynweb. Don't give up. You have had the willpower to keep lc'ing for 4 weeks! Effort and willingness are half the battle! I know how frustrating it is when your body takes it's sweet time about showing results. Before I give you my understanding of the difference between Atkin and SB I have a few questions/suggestions. 1. Are you drinking tons of water? It sounds crazy but it makes a huge difference. 2. Are you moving (as in any exercise at all)? Sometimes a body needs a kick start to get the metabolism going. 3. Though the scale isn't moving, how about body shape? Are you losing inches? Are you building muscle (that weighs more than fat)? 4. Are you using products with sugar alcohols in them like the Atkins shakes or Advantage bars? Many people find that those sugar alcohols cause stalls in weight loss. 5. Have you considered moving on from induction, adding some carbs, in order to get your metabolism going? 6. Are you sure you are eating enough calories that you body doesn't go into starvation mode which slows the metabolism?
Ok. All of that said, I agree with you that Atkins and SB are very similar. Both believe that processed carbs as in sugar and refined grains are "evil". Atkins has you cut back further on carbs to start than SB does but adds back the same items eventually, whole grains, nuts, low glycemic index fruits. Every body is different with different tolerances. Its really a matter of experimenting with what works for you. Another major difference between the two is SB's emphasis on lower fat foods and cuts of meat and "heart healthy" fats in cooking . You won't find cream and butter and whole eggs on SB.
IMHO the reason different lc plans work for different people is because of the different body tolerances for carbs ingested as well as needs for carbs ingested. Some people cant lose at a higher carb intake. Others cant lose at an extremely low carb intake.
Please don't dispare! Many people here have been through exactly what you are going through now. I am sure you will get many more messages of encouragement and words of wisdom. Ask some specific questions about your current routine and see if the experts here cant give you some tried and true suggestions. This forum is filled with amazing people who I am sure can help.
Keep on track Katlynweb. You came to the right place!