View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 10:32
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Judging from your profile, which says you started low carbing in July, and your stats, which indicate that you have lost 50 pounds, you've lost a lot of weight very rapidly. Some people are able to continue losing at a brisk pace indefinitely, but many people find their bodies get to the point where they stop losing for a while while they adjust to the new weight, before resuming losing again (often at a slower pace). The cheat at Thanksgiving may have purely coincidentally occurred right when your body was ready to take a break. Or perhaps, it wasn't pure coincidence, it could have been your body wanting a break that drove you to cheat.

While it is certainly a good idea to examine carefully everything you are eating -- hidden carbs often sneak in without us realizing it, so you might want to use FitDay or post some menus for other people to look at -- your expectations that you will continue losing at the same pace you were at the beginning may also be too high and need some re-examination. Thanksgiving was less than two weeks ago. It is not uncommon for long term low carbers to go two weeks without a weight loss. I am certain that if you continue low carbing, you will start losing again.

I'm sure that someone is going to post and say that they have lost weight continuously every week for a year. There are people like that and we all want to be like that. However, most of us are not, and I don't think it is realistic to expect to be that way. If nothing else, by expecting your weight loss to slow down at some point, you are opening yourself to being pleasantly surprised if it does not, rather than disappointed when it does!