Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 22:40
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle874
I've left the MSN diabetic groups I'm on and come here. I'm a T2 and have been doing Atkins Maintenance diet the last 8 months without knowing I was. I just did my own research on eating and used my monitor as a guide. My hubby bought Atkin's book and I was amazed. I said this on the "other" diabetic groups and was just about "linched" AND these are all people struggling with hi sugars, cholesterols and tryglicerides. I was too until eating this way. Now they're great. But mention Atkins and those people go nuts.

Sad really. Diabetics have been brainwashed into believing half-heartedly watching sugar intake and militantly eliminating fat is the way to go.

adkpam mentions that it would seem impossible for thousands of people to keep some elaborate conspiracy going... and I would agree. However her definitoin of a conspiracy and mine are quite different. She seems to think of the x-files... cancer man shaking hands with mr. x in the parking lot, exchanges of sensitive information, that sort of thing . To me, a conspiracy can be something as simple as a few powerful men intentionally trying to raise their power and profits at our expense. It is in our nature to exploit, after all... and after all, what are corporations but highly efficient machines designed to garner profits by any means they can. I fully believe that a combination of corporate propaganda, maybe buying off a few key government officials at key times, could lead to a silent and seemless transition into what we have today -- mass resistence to non high carb/low fat diets, millions of suffering people with no handle over their appetites, and of those millions some who are going to die of heart disease, diabetes, and other weight/obesity related diseases.

No, I am not suggesting when you go into your Dr's office mentioning atkins, he gives you a funny look then asks to be "excused" while he scribbles your name on some government file . I am merely suggesting that behind the closed doors of corporations, they consciously made the decision to load their foods with sugar calories because of the appetite-stimulating properties of them. I am also suggesting that government pandering to these special interest groups is why they are pro high carb and absolutely resistent to the point of being offended when someone mentions low carb (why the **** does the department of agriculture have control over our food pyramid any way?)