View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 15:19
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 197/165/130 Female 5'4"
BF:??/29/20
Progress: 48%

What a creep! I'm a biology major, and I just want to give you ammo for future "genetics arguments," if there are any.

1.) It's entirely possible for your two parents and your siblings to have one trait and for you to have another trait. Maybe not likely, but ABSOLUTELY possible.

2.) The genetics of weight are complex. But at the base of it, all you get is a *tendency* towards being a particular weight. So even if your weight is genetic, that doesn't mean it's set in stone! It just means you might have to work harder -- or emply metabolic tricks like low-carbing ;->

3.) The genetics of everything are complex! Most genetic conditions are not the kind of simple "blue eyes, brown eyes" one-gene problems that we all learned about in high school. The important stuff tends to be controlled by more than one gene, in more than one way, and in ways that interact with the developing environment. If I have your genetic code, I can't recreate your personal body without knowing what your environment was like as a child. This is not common knowledge, but it's true. So everything is just a little bit uncertain.

4.) He's not being very scientific if he thinks that data coming from people who are overweight and who eat one kind of diet have ANY predictive usability when it comes to people who are eating a different kind of diet!

Good luck! Give him hell, IF you ever talk to him again. And keep low-carbing -- *you* know it's right for your body. And what does he know? I think we've conclusively shown that he knows NOTHING.

Holly