Old Fri, Dec-05-03, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebula
But, the question that remains is: Are people seeing that carboydrates are bad, or is that an after-effect. In other words, I believe people do Atkins, et al, to lose weight, not because they suddenly realize that carboydrates are not good for them. At least, this was the case for me and from my readings here, for others as well. Learning that carboydrates aren't necessarily a good thing, particularly refined and processed carby-foods, comes after you experience results and get passed the initial carb cravings.

Large corporations care about one thing, and one thing only - the bottom line. They are accountable to their shareholders, and if the preferred stockholders aren't getting dividends, the board may be voted out. Does Pfizer REALLY care that millions of men can now lead sexually active lives? I doubt it. Do they care that their sales increased by $4 billion? Absolutely.

I'm just glad I got in on the bottom floor and I realized that the only way to be successful in my eating habits is to eat only those things that are unprocessed and whole.

As for the low-carb eating public... well, given how popular low-fat foods are, I'm sure low-carb foods will be very popular. We are also in a different world in a consumerism sense than in the 80s and even early 90s. Corporations realize that "fad" or "popular" trends are easy to cash in on, and they are starting to jump on it faster.

See I disagree with you in part. I do not feel looking at carbohydrates as bad is the right attitude. It is the way we have used carbohydrates that is bad. We overconsumed them, ate way too much, till we were partially insulin resistent. Normal people don't have these sleepiness problems with carbs... only those of us who abused them do (or were genetically susceptable to IR, but that is more rare). My sister is very lean, and eats carbs all the time... her favs are pure sugar candy and chinese food. BUT, she eats in moderation, never binges, and because of this she has no problems with carbs.

It is important to remember we who have severe problems processing carbs due to self-induced carb abuse are a relative minority. Saying "all carbs are bad" is akin to an alcholics group preaching that "all alcohol is evil". Many people consume alcohol in moderation without problems, it is only those who abuse alcohol who find it problematic.

Also, I do not think the low carb processed alternative foods are necessarily bad. If one has had their carb cravings under control for awhile, and has made needed emotional shifts (away from poping sugar when your mood fluctuates in undesirable directions, like all to many of us USED to do), then you should have no problem consuming these foods in moderation... and they should be in moderation mind you. I am sorry, but I just don't believe that some people digest sugar alcohols differently and all that mumbo jumbo. I think everyone is physically capable of handling the low carb subs, but the real reason some people don't binge on carb substitutes, and others do, is because the ones who binge have not fully mastered their cravings or addictive mindset yet. These are the types of people who begin downing atkins bars only a few weeks off of induction, and then wonder why they slowly transgress back into their old habits.

Plus, I think low carb substitutes are better for the public who aren't following a strict low carb woe. If even one person with a carb tollerance/weight problem replaces his candy bars with atkins bars, he is better for it.