View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 18:19
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I eat out a lot -- I travel frequently for work, I go to a lot of meetings that are held over lunch, and in my non-work hours I tend to get busy and not want to cook all the time. I've managed to lose almost 100 pounds while doing so. I eat Chinese food occasionally, but frankly I try to avoid eating Chinese too often because I am never sure exactly what is in the sauces.

I eat a lot of fish when I am in restaurants and salads combined with protein -- cobb salad, spinach salad with steak, chicken ceasar salad (although I don't like ceaser dressing and I always ask for oil and vinegar), etc. In my opinion, asking for oil and vinegar is a good strategy in general in restaurants, since you can never bee 100 percent certain of what they put in prepared dressings.

I love Indian food and there are lots of good choices at Indian restaurants (see the Atkins website Rosebud suggested for ideas). Fajitas are a good choice at Mexican restaurants (skip the rice and torillas). A lot of cultures, including Latin American, make their own version of a seafood soup, which is another good choice.

It has been my experience that almost every restaurant menu includes one or two good lowcarb choices and many include more than that. Asian food is more difficult than some other cuisines, but nothing is impossible. I have eaten in Chinese, Thai, and Japanese restaurants without gaining weight, although I generally haven't lost anything the weeks I have eaten those types of food.