View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 10:45

Plan: CAD
Stats: 190/185/175 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Just started CAD...questions...(CAD vs. CADLP)

I’m 27 and vegetarian. I read the basic Heller book () last week. I started the CAD diet on Monday (two days ago). Having heard about the newer book (Carbohydrate Addcicts: LifeSpan Program) on Monday, I picked that book up Monday afternoon and managed to read the entire book already. I really enjoyed the Carbohydrate Addcicts: LifeSpan Program book. It provided me with a lot of info on the diet and the inner workings of my body. Lots of insights indeed. But, after reading both books, I did have a couple questions which I wasn’t able to answer through the reading:

In the first book there is emphasis on eating 2 CM’s (Complimentary Meals) and one RM (Reward Meal). There was also a section about another option of the diet which allows for a snack between Complimentary Meals. The first book provided a table which listed the types and amounts (for example: no more than 2 oz. of cheese per CM) of food available for the CM’s. So it seemed to me that the amount of food eaten and the frequency of CM’s (2 a day) was very important. But after reading the LifeSpan book I’m coming across things like:

Page 117: “…Craving Reducing Meals and Snacks should be well balanced and should include both high-fiber and protein-rich choices. The amount you eat is not critical as long as you include both protein and high-fiber vegetables at any Craving Reducing Meal or Snack. Some people eat ½ protein, ½ vegetable; others choose less protein and more salad and vegetables. We generally recommend that you take “average-sized portions” and go back for more if you like but, in the end, the size and proportions are truly up to you.”

Page 118: “If you want a snack, you are free to enjoy any of the Craving Reducing foods you desire…”

So my questions are:

1. Is there a limit to how much food I can eat at the CM’s so long as the meals are a balance of quality fiber and protein foods? Is there a limit to the amount of fat I should consume?
2. Can I have a snack of CM friendly foods in between CM’s if I am hungry? Or does more frequent eating sabotage my program?
3. I’m a vegetarian and in my late 20’s, so does that mean that the CADLP book isn’t geared toward someone my age?

This is not to say that I am looking for license to eat endless amounts of foods. I understand that the diet helps correct a craving to overeat, and that eventually I may not be hungry in between meals. I have also been looking into whether the foods I’m eating may contain hidden carbs that may be increasing my appetite. But I have found that I get very hungry while waiting the 4 to 5 hours in between my CM’s (Prior to going on this diet I usually ate 6 or more smaller meals throughout the day, so maybe I’m just not used to waiting so long in between meals?). If this can be corrected by eating more at my CM’s, or if I am able to have a snack in between, then I’d like to have that cleared up for me. Remember, I’ve only been on the diet for 3 days now. For example, yesterday I ate 2 eggs with one piece of cheese and bacon alternative at 8:00am. My lunch hour isn’t until 1:00pm, and I was starving by 11:00am. So today, I added another piece of cheese to my eggs and here it is approaching 12:00pm and I’m not hungry at all. Is that OK? Too much fat in these foods?

Also, last night I was up late working on an assignment. It had been 6 hours since I had my Reward Meal, and I was very hungry. I went to sleep very hungry but wondered if I could have had a CM friendly snack that would not have upset my program?
Thanks!
Scott
Sponsored Links