View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 09:12

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking you were the only one!

To Adkpam - right on the money! I suffered badly from drowseyness after lunch in business. It was terrible. We would be at a meeting with the CEO and have lunch served. There I was with my sugar sweetened Lipton iced tea (Always with me as a trademark) - eating the sandwich with bread and potato chips. Then about 1/2 to 1 hour later I could hardley keep my eyes open. Meanwhile the VP being groomed for President was always carefull what he ate and I noticed he never ate desert. So as I am swimming in sleepiness he gives a speech so clear headed I could not figure out how he did it. I realized then there was something wrong with me. After the meeting next day my boss took me aside and scolded me for being drowsey and said the CEO was looking right at me when I was nodding my head. This was a terrible situation for my job and business.

Several years later I discovered Atkins and now working for a different company we have a weekly meeting. The owner always buys lunch the day we have a meeting and it is always pizza. Same thing was happening. The meeting would be about 1 hour after lunch and it was perfect timing for me to be sleepy. So the first week I am on Atkins I don't eat the pizza. At the meeting I am perfectly clear headed, no drowseyness at all! That was it - that was my problem - it was the sugar!

Now I am continuing with the job and the owner his wife and family me and my wife pile in a 15 seat van to drive from PA to Orlando for a trade show. Everyday I would start out driving and after lunch the owner would take over - well 1/2 hour later he would make me take the wheel again and their whole family and him would soundly sleep. One meal was funny - there was an accident up ahead and it was near lunchtime so we pulled off the nearest exit and eat at a diner (down south) Everybody orders the usual and I had my LC meal - well my meal came with a big bowl of grits - so I gave that away to the owner and his family - they are Chinese and never heard of grits. So they chowed down on the grits, french fries, bread plus had sandwiches with rolls - drank soda. I kept laughing to myself and knew they would all conk out after lunch. Well sure enough the owner has to drive first and 1/2 hour he pulls over and makes me drive. So I proceed up the road and it rains cats and dogs so bad you could hardly see. The whole family is sound asleep and just my wife and I are awake. We drive through all this teeming water on I95 going 30 miles an hour trying to stay on the road with them all asleep.

Then I went on another road trip with the owner and after two times of this - where he falls asleep after lunch - he says "gary why are you wide awake after lunch and I always fall asleep?" I told him it is the sugar! So he then started LC eating and was amazed - it cured him the same way it cured me! This guy is such an egomaniac he would never listen to me when I talked about cutting sugar down and Atkins. But when he saw in real life this example, he was convinced - it stared him in the face.