#32   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 20:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerguy
How successfully you women frame the discussion in terms of the chauvinist jerk husband vs. the helplessly overweight wife!

I'm a guy. I think that if it was legit (and I doubt that website was), then the husband is no kind of man at all. If he's real, he's a coward who ridicules his wife in public. He's someone who takes someone else's weakness and homes in on it. At the starting weight listed in your profile, you are certainly familiar with that situation, I would guess.

I'm not talking about confronting her about it, or discussing it within your marriage -- that's different. But to nag, ridicule and make fun of your wife publicly? What a soul-less prick.

And you, as someone who's been fat in this world, ought to at least have some empathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakerguy
The reality is quite simple: being fat is not acceptable (not even with the 'to have and to hold' poppycock so readily being bandied about as an excuse for fat-assery). When people learn this, perhaps they will de-chunkify and start living happier lives. I know I have

It's good that you're a long way down the road toward losing your weight. Doing that doesn't give you license to join the mindless throng of people who think it's just dandy to ridicule the fat. There is not an excuse for fat, I agree--we're all ultimately responsible for our health. But there is also no excuse for the attitude "Andy" showed with that site, or yours toward people in this forum.

Being an awful husband to your wife isn't acceptable. And you probably aren't familiar enough with marriage or commitment to understand that. "Poppycock" isn't what the commitment is.

I have to say, I would expect someone who has been through the fire of being fat to perhaps have a bit of understanding for that situation in others. It leads me to say that there are worse things--less acceptable things--in this world than fat. Your attitude appears to be one of them, especially in a support forum designed for people to help people. You aren't showing tough love. You're showing that you have a flaw other than fat.