#30   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 18:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
... Recently a beautiful young woman whom I had helped to become slim and who had stayed that way, told me how she had finally managed to get her husband to reduce. "During our 12 years of married life," she said, "I couldn't get George to take off the fat that was turning a handsome man into an uglier one each year. He kept putting on weight until he scaled over 250 pounds instead of the 175 pounds he was when I married him. I tried to get him to visit you or at least go on your diet, but he refused. He always answered, "I'm a happy fat man."

She shook her head. "I almost gave up. Last summer we rented a house at the beach. Most of the time George wouldn't get into his swim trunks even though he loves to swim. The few times he did go swimming he looked like a tremendous beach ball with legs. No one would ever know that there was a very handsome, tall, thin man hiding inside that ugly mass of flab.

"It didn't help when I told him again and again that I was afraid of his premature death because of his shortness of breath and other evidences of deteriorating health. Finally I said straight out, 'George, I'm ashamed of the way you look. I'm beginning to dislike being with you. Either you start slimming down or I'm afraid that I'll eventually get to the point where I'll have to leave you!"

She beamed. "It worked. He couldn't get very upset about dying before his time. But this blow to his vanity, and even suggesting that his overweight might be repulsive to me, as well as to others, and could break up our marriage - that did the trick. He made a deal with me that he'd go on your Quick Weight Loss Diet for just one short week. If he didn't lose weight - he thought he was one of those people who couldn't - I promised I'd shut up about it from then on.

< snip >

This case fortunately has a happy ending. Too many others I've known about have ended in family tragedy with a woman leaving a grossly overweight husband whom she couldn't stand to look at or live with any more. More often the situation has been that of a man leaving his overweight wife who had lost her figure, her looks, her pride and spirit and finally her husband.

This is a quote from Dr. Stillman's Quick Weight Loss Diet, published in the US in 1967.

What a sad example of manipulation and humiliation.

Doreen