View Single Post
  #87   ^
Old Sat, Nov-29-03, 12:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

I took the turkey drippings put it in a pot on the stove with a low flame and added about a cup or so of water. I eyeballed the xantham but it does not take a lot. I think I used about 4 tbsp or so for the drippings of a 12 lb turkey (including 4 sticks butter and some marinade hat the turkey was cooked in). I stirred it around with a slotted spoon mashing the clumps, much like you would with flour (there were not many clumps at all).

For a minute or so nothing was happening so I was going to add more xantham. Thank goodness I didn't because all of a sudden it thickened up in the course of about 3.5 seconds (that part was strange! Kind of like gravy magic!). It literally took me about 2 or 3 minutes from start to finish and I was done. My gravy was nice and thick. Doing that with flour would have taken me a LONG time and I would not have been able to get all the clumps out.

I also had out the Gravy Master (the drops that make the gravy brown). It has a few carbs so I didn't want to use it unless I HAD to. The flavor and color was fine without it so I didn't need it. I recommend xantham to EVERYONE!