View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Nov-27-03, 07:13

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Rob, I'm so sorry. It's awful whenever a loved one passes, but somehow it's worse when it happens on a holiday so that you remember it every single year.

Since moving to Maine in 1985, we've spent probably 4 Thanksgivings apart (when he worked in Canada) and only a couple Thanksgivings in Michigan with his family. My father passed away a couple months before we got married, and my mother passed away 11 years ago. In fact, her funeral was held on DH's 40th birthday. How's that for a crummy birthday. 40th birthdays are traumatic in and of themselves, and to have to go to a funeral on that day . . .

---------

Elaine, you asked Wendy yesterday about how she stays full on a half cup of cottage cheese and a handful of berries. I wouldn't have believed it either. My appetite was getting up there when I decided to follow Wendy into the land of Lean for Life. A friend of mine gave me her book (it "didn't work for her"), so I read up. I did three complete protein days. The book says on a protein day you eat nothing but protein, and keep the carbs down to about 60. Huh? That didn't make sense to me. Wendy didn't have a problem with that. She ate protein in the form of eggs (1 carb each), meat (no carbs), yogurt (about 14 carbs per cup), and cottage cheese (about 8 carbs per cup).

Anyway, after three days of nothing but protein for me (and I mean nothing but protein), my appetite disappeared. Now I'm eating around 1100 calories a day and have to remind myself to eat.

Take yesterday, for example. At 5:00 am, I had 1 whole egg and 2 whites scrambled with 1 ounce of cheese in 1 pat of butter, and one slice of LC bread (4 carbs) with 1 pat of butter.

I didn't even think about eating again until around 11:00 when I had 1/2 cup of lower-fat cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of grapefruit sections. At 2:00, I had a small pork chop (maybe 4 ounces). For dinner I had maybe 6 ounces of pork, no veggies. That's it.

Now that's probably not even enough. I should probably eat more veggies or something. The scale is still stuck at 165, but again, my clothes are all getting looser. (See, Rebecca? Scales are evil! )

So that's how you stay full on such little food.

----------

Ellie, glad to hear about your neighbor, but sad to hear DD is sick again. I know you said she's tried everything for her migraines, but has she tried Imitrix? It didn't work for me, but I know it works for others. When I tried it, it was the injection; I know it's in pill form now. Also, what about biofeedback? A lot of people have luck with it, and no drugs are involved (which in my mind is always a good thing).

Thanks for the recipe. I was going to ask for it. That's great that it has only 3 effective carbs per serving. But how many servings does it make? Do you make it in an 8x8 pan? As for freezing, I find you can freeze almost anything. The only thing I've found that doesn't freeze well is cheese (except for like the cheese on top of casseroles).

Where did you originally get the recipe?

----------

Dreamer, which recipes did you try? I love the "Melt in Your Mouth Pancakes" with sour cream. I need to make only a half recipe at a time, though, because I eat it all and always feel too full afterward.

The other recipes in the Eades' cookbook look good, but that's the only one I've made. I bought some of the ingredients for the cakes and desserts, but haven't tried them yet. Maybe I'll make a LC dessert for today. Since DH is leaving on a business trip on Sunday morning, we decided it's probably a bad idea to make pumpkin pies today (they're basically for him after I have one slice). Any suggestions?

As for Dana Carpender's book, I've made several of her recipes. On page 283 is a recipe for Crispy Parmesan Fish. She actually stole this recipe from me (or else it's one heck of a coincidence! ). I've used this topping for years on fish, boneless chicken breasts, and pork chops.

Another good way to make chops or boneless breasts is to lay them in a roasting pan, "frost" them with mayo, and sprinkle on bacon bits (the real kind in a jar, not the artificial kind).

--------------------

Orang, thanks for the pic. You made me feel better about the glasses. I wore them yesterday at work, and one guy said they made me look like a "prim and proper, buttoned-up librarian who turns into a hot mamma at night!" Hey, I can live with that description!

After work, I stopped in at The Christmas Tree Shop (I hate that place; everything is so inexpensive you end up buying tons of stuff you don't need) because someone said they had a huge selection of reading glasses. I bought three pair at $4.99 each! Much more funky than the ones I got from the optometrist.

-----------------

This is getting mighty long, so I'll just say hello to everyone I missed and catch up a little later.

Hmmmmm. Now which LC dessert should I make?