#29   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 00:53

Plan: I don't
Stats: 134/134/134 Female 67 inches
BF:16.6%
Progress:
Default Reply to LisaN, KWalt, Rosebud, Faust, Synn and others:

To Lisa N, KWalt, Rosebud and all others who condemn my writing capabilities:

I'm 26 years old, and JUST began my Master's Program. I am niether a bitter nor close-minded Registered Dietitian; I'm only a STUDENT, as I indicated. I put my critique of a study out on your forum, which has NOTHING TO DO WITH MY THESIS PROPOSAL, for the sole intention of gaining constructive criticism; not so I could be ridiculed.
I have not even had the opportunity to be a professional in the feild yet, because I am still LEARNING. I chose this nutrition because I have an interest in helping people, not misleading them.. I want to open my mind to new ideas and information, not close it. I chose to engage myself in this forum because I want to learn about the real-life experiences that people are having with Low-CHO diets, instead of just the stuff that comes out of controlled clinical settings (and usually unable to be replicated in real life circumstances).

Despite trying to take this self-directed innitiative to learn outside the classroom environment, I have been criticized heavily and from all sides. Many comments aren't constructive at all to me because they're outright rude. The only thing this forum HAS given me, is reservations about helping people with the whole-hearted passion I have!
Certain comments make me feel as if my B.S. in Nutrition was a useless waste of time, and that the fact that I want to be an R.D. is a crime punishable by death.

I only have the desire to LEARN, folks. I cannot help it if everything I've been taught thus far is contradictory to what this forum advocates. I went out on a vulnerable limb by putting my homework (article crtique) out there for your insight, and because I am still collecting ideas as to what I want to do my thesis on. I hoped to conduct a study on Atkin's vs. ADA-type diet and effects on submaximal exercise, but I have only been discouraged by comments such as, "learn to write", and "you're not credible" and "dammned R.D.'s with their EAT LESS FAT mantras!". These comments are slowly eroding my interest in trying to learn from the devil's advocates.

With all fairness, I am just trying to maintain my integrity as a student of nutrition. For God's sake, throw me a bone!
I'll leave everyone with the peer-reviwed journal that I am published in. You can find my name in the FASEB Journal (Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology), Vol 17, No 4, Part1, Abstract # 448.7 Author: (me) Lindsay Brean, Title: The Role of Glycine in the Hypolipidemic Effects of Soy Protein Relative to Casein.
Maybe I should ask the publisher if they think I have poor research-writing skills.

Sincerely, Lindsay Brean