View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-22-03, 00:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Hi there! Oh, it sounds like you've got a wonderful family! I'm sorry, I have no experience with FM, either.

Thanks for the info on Somersizing! I've been curious about that program.

I'm assuming you've checked out the link on the right that says "Which low-carb plan is right for me?' Absolutely scads of info there! Also, you could check out books from the library and read up on them and get a better idea.

I think when choosing a plan it's good to keep a few things in mind. For example, do you have problems with blood sugar and insulin spikes? If so, a plan like Atkins is extremely good in that it completely controls the blood sugar. Unlike Somersizing, whenever we eat carbs, we also eat protein and fat with them because this helps to slow down how the carbs are released into our blood streams. It works great for us--we're an entire family of hypoglycemics. It's also great for peeps without blood sugar problems.

I personally like Atkins because of all of the luxurious foods we eat: butter, olive oil, full fat cottage cheese (in moderation of course because of the carb count), salads galore with great-tasting salad dressings, nuts, berries, meats, and the list just goes on and on! Let me tell you, it's a dieter's paradise, and I've never seen a more nutrient-dense way of eating in my life! On top of that, I'm not starving all the time like I was on other diets!

However, whether you have blood sugar problems or not and Atkins just doesn't sound like your cup of tea, I can recommend The Zone. I have a relative who follows that plan and has done beautifully--lost her weight and has maintained for two years.

Best of luck to you and welcome!