View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-01, 08:28
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/163/130
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Of course if you're a child you may not have the option to drink water!

I've just got off the phone from the school nurse telling me they've confiscated my son's water bottle (even though I sent a note in) because children at the school are only allowed to have a water bottle if they have a doctor's note to that effect! I said to her, why? and she said : well if we let one, half the school would be carrying them, and I said: what's the problem with that? I was then told that someone might "put something in them" and when I asked what, there was a dead silence at the other end of the phone. I've called his endo, and I don't think they'll be a problem, but I'm just so irritated! I thought (and I said to the school nurse) that everyone was encourage to drink adequate quantities of fluid (particularly in an un-air conditioned school in plus 80 degree weather). I also pointed out that this rule doesn't apply to the teachers. He's already suffering from an RSD flare and he does NOT need this additional stress (come to think of it, neither do I)! Water fountains are available, but they can only use them when transferring between classes, and the lines get long, they have just over a minute to get from one class to the next, and he's limping quite badly at the moment so he's fairly slow.

This "public" school is so restrictive, they have rules for everything. Even my endo's nurse had never heard of such a thing (and that's a pediatric practice, with lots of diabetic kids.) Grrrrrrrrrr!

Jay