Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty5
Hi guys,
I am in desperate need of some advice. I am currently a medical student and find I have no time to cook. Having something ready when I am hungry is a huge problem for me. I find if there is not something readily available I start wanting to cheat bad. I am so used to just running to Subway for a quick meal or popping in a frozen meal. I am actually a pretty good cook but just never dedicate the time to do it. Does anyone have any suggestions for quick meals? Are there frozen low carb meals I can buy (not Atkins-too expensive) but maybe stir fry or any premade meals you guys buy and are low carb. Please help I am really struggling with this and would love some advice. Thank you all.

Here are some excellent quick meals.

Mock Pancakes -
Take two eggs, separate the whites and the yolk. Mix a bit of cream of tartar in with the whites, and beat until they are mostly dry and stiff. In the other bowl, beat together egg yolk, a bit of cream cheese (1-2 tablespoons), a packet of splenda, a bit of vanilla extract, and if desired some cinnamon. Fold the yolk in the whites. Heat a skillet with a bit of butter.
Use a ladel to put dollops of the mixture on the pan. Wait until you can see hole popping up through the wet side of the mixture, and it begins to take on a bready type consistency. Sides should be done. Then, turn and cook the other side. Do this until you have cooked all pancakes, stack them, add a little pat of butter and some sugar free maple syrup. It's very yummy.

This recipe is somewhere between 3 and 5 carbs per serving depending on how much syrup, cream cheese, seasoning, etc you decide to use.
--------

Heres another great recipe, mock fried rice.

Cut a cauliflower in half, and use a cheese grater to grate half the cauliflower into rice sized shreds. Set asside
In another plate prepare 3 green onions, thinly sliced, and minced garlic clove. Also scramble 3 eggs in a bowl, and in another bowl measure out 3 tablespoons soy sauce.

Get out a pound or so of some type of meat, beef chicken pork or shrimp are great. I prefer to use a left over fatty roast. Cut up the meat into little slivers, and mix with chinese spices (ginger, packet splenda, soy sauce, teensy bit of cinnamon, cloves, etc).
Pour about 3 tablespoons of oil into a pan, and stir fry the meat. Once done, set aside.

Add another tablespoon oil to the pan, and saute the white part of the green onion with the garlic. After about a minute, add in the cauliflower, and stir well for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, add the meat, green part of the onion, and soy sauce. Mix well for a minute. Set all the mixture into a corner of the pan, add another tablespoon or two of olive oil, and add the scrambled egg. when egg is scrambled but still wet, begin mixing the egg into the mix. after about a minute, you should be done.

Total time is only like 15 minutes, and serves 4. roughly 6 effective carbs per serving, and calories vary depending on what type and how much meat and how much oil used.
----

Quick Eggplant pizza

Cut up an egg plant into 1 ounce slices. Season eggplant with pepper, oil, salt and any other desired seasonings. Bake or broil until crisp or browned... about 5 minutes
Top each "pizza" with two tablespoons tomato sauce, mozzarella, and your choice of pizza fixings. Bake pizza until cheese is melted and slightly brown

Carbs depend on ingredients used

----

Then of course there are american staples like hamburgers...

mix 3 or 4 ounces of ground beef with garlic, salt, spices, pepper, and green onion. fry well in pan. top with cheese, bacon, mayo, sugar free ketchup, or anything else desired. wrap up your burger in a couple romaine lettuce leaves and enjoy.

----
salad w/ French dressing

Get a head of romaine lettuce and a medium sized cucumber, and chop them up. For french dressing, combine 1/4 cup canola oil, 2 table spoons sugar free ketchup, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 green onions, a teaspoon mustard, black pepper, salt, and a tablespoon splenda. Mix ina blender until smooth, and top your salad with dressing. If desired you can also include low carb croutons.

or if you want something REALLY quick, there is always an ounce of nuts, cheese, and stuff like that.

These are just a few ideas, possibilities are endless.