#25   ^
Old Thu, Nov-20-03, 10:28
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%
Default Curves Review in Prevention Magazine

This month's Prevention Magazine has a small article on Curves (http://205.147.231.53/cda/feature20...80,6337,00.html), here is a small quote:

"While Curves has earned kudos for getting sedentary women moving, it has some limitations. "This program is great for out-of-shape beginners," says Prevention fitness advisor Wayne Westcott, PhD. "The machines are easy to use and unlikely to cause soreness, but they provide resistance only during the lifting phase of the exercises, so your muscles only get a partial workout."

My impression, from a relative who attends, and various readings I have come across, is that Curves is great for:
-beginners
-ladies who find gyms or gym rats intimidating
-ladies who want a quieter, more supportive and intimate fitness experience
-ladies needing a gentle start to rehab

I hear often "I can get a workout crammed into my lunch hour" as a justification for Curves...and I agree that gyms catering to working persons should offer short lunchtime and before and after business hours classes, but anyone can put together a simple 30 minute workout alternating cardio and strength training if they want to.

I think most gyms are really missing the market out there for the overweight, out of shape baby boomer. I have a LOT of friends who refuse, utterly, to be seen huffing, puffing, jiggling and sweating in public. There is so much pressure to be gorgeous, the very people who need to get active are ashamed of being seen. A lot of these women (and I imagine lots of guys feel that way, too) have beaten themselves up so badly for not looking great, they simply cannot summon the courage it takes to walk into a gym of ripped 25 year olds. They can't find gym wear in their size, a sports bra that works (wear two), and they can't take an in-your-face boot camp approach. They need a TLC approach, and as Curves proves, they are in a position to pay for it.

That said, I am uneasy when I hear people chirping that by going to Curves, they are getting a high level workout and need never push themselves harder (the Curves web page states: "Curves allows you to get a complete aerobic and strength training workout in just 30 minutes." They fail to factor in that this workout is both low intensity AND short duration, and that at some point you will need more challenge to really get fit and lean: denial ain't just a river in Egypt, baby!

So Curves seems a great place to start, and hopefully the confidence gained there will lead people to a wider and more challenging menu of physical activities.