View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 13:47
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

8g is about right for a Splenda-ified cheesecake with an almond or hazelnut crust -- my cheesecake recipe, which uses a hazelnut crust and 3/4 c splenda, is not far off that at 5.5g per slice, and it's skimpier on the cream cheese than other recipes I've seen out there. Remember, Splenda itself has 24g carbs/cup from the maltodextrin filler, cream cheese has 1g per ounce (most recipes use 24-40 oz), and an almond or hazelnut crust usually adds 2-3g per slice. Unless you're using erythritol or DaVinci for sweetener, it's just about impossible to get a cheesecake below 5g per serving. The worst thing in it is likely to be a twblespoon or two of flour or cornstarch, which helps keep the cake from cracking (an important consideration in a commercial environment), and this is an insignificant amount when spread over the whole cake.

Hilary's right that there's no room at all in that carb count for sugar. A cup of sugar is 192g carbs, and cheesecake recipes almost never contain less than 3/4 c; conservatively assuming a 16-slice cheesecake, that's 9g just from the sugar alone, never mind the other ingredients. As for the tortillas, pretty much all LC breads and wraps contain some whole wheat flour; they're not recommended for Induction, but are perfectly fine for reasonable use in OWL and maintenance. All in all, I think Ruby Tuesday's has done quite well with their LC menu.