#5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 18:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudknife
It's amazing how many thin people that speak publicly have just the right advice on how to get rid of extra pounds. Their advice is simplistic and often true if we were to be honest with ourselves. They usually say just eat less and exercise more. We all know the problem with that simple advice.

Man, there is nothing I hate more than that attitude from someone who has never been where I am. It is simplistic. It is the truth. It's also so much bullshit coming from someone who's never been overweight. They cannot understand the experience. I'm a black & white kind of guy. Things either are true or they are not, but there are degrees of perception.

I resent it like smokers might resent advice from me; I'd tell them "just don't smoke." The advice, while inescapably,technically correct, is comes from real-world ignorance.

I liken it to a virgin giving sex advice: He may know where everything is and what it's supposed to do, but until you've been there, you can't intelligently talk about it. The virgin's absolute truth may be true, but he isn't qualified to tell that truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudknife
Most people realize Hollywood is plastic in every sense of the word. I think deep down inside Brando is recognized for his great talent and his ability to make producers money, and Robert Downey Jr. is recognized as being a spoiled fake that rode into town on his father's coat tails.

I hate to say this, but Hollywood in this case is an excellent reflection of America.

When you talk about work, we have some people in our office that were hired to do certain things, but aren't good at it. One is a very beautiful woman who could easily be in movies. She isn't dumb, just not qualified to do what she's doing. If she were a fat girl, she wouldn't have lasted a month at the job. Because she's drop-dead gorgeous, she has stayed on for years.

I like to recognize this prejudice without allowing myself to feel victimized by it. To me, turning the corner and refusing to let myself be a victim, whether of myself, or of others, is the empowering force that will keep me going in the right direction.