View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 17:22
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Kyrasdad, I vote for neither sympathy nor contempt. I like education.

It's been my experience the bar gets raised a bit for the overweight person. I think it's because of the attitude the article talks about that overweight people have to work that much harder than their thinner counterparts.

On the other hand, as an overweight person I have learned to be self conscious because of criticism, and that affects my public demeanor, which at times may change or alter how I would really do a job or react in certain situations. Not always, but sometimes.

One insult in particular that grinds me is the assumption that overweight equals less intelligent. I have seen situations where a so called beautiful-person makes such a stupid statement in public that I almost laughed out loud, yet no one else or very few seemed to notice. On the other hand it may just be my off sense of humor too.

It's amazing how many thin people that speak publicly have just the right advice on how to get rid of extra pounds. Their advice is simplistic and often true if we were to be honest with ourselves. They usually say just eat less and exercise more. We all know the problem with that simple advice.

----------------------------------
Hollywood savaged Brando for his weight gain, but give part after part, and speak in soothing terms of healing about Robert Downey Jr.
----------------------------------
Most people realize Hollywood is plastic in every sense of the word. I think deep down inside Brando is recognized for his great talent and his ability to make producers money, and Robert Downey Jr. is recognized as being a spoiled fake that rode into town on his father's coat tails.