View Single Post
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Nov-15-03, 07:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Second, no restrictions were placed on daily caloric intake. The daily recommended intake of 1,905 kcal was based on an average of subjects’ height and sex. According to food records however, the mean daily energy intake was only 1,447 + 350 kcal.

I'll give you the benefit of a doubt and assume that the 1,447 + 350 kcal was supposed to be 1,447 +/- 350 kcal. This means that the mean caloric intake ranged from 1,097 to 1,797. Mean means an average which means that some were higher and some were lower as well as some days for individuals being higer or lower. While 1,100 calories per day is low, nearly 1,800 could not be considered "severe caloric restriction" by any means for a weight loss diet. My registered dietician put me on a 1,200 calorie reduction diet when it was low fat/high carb and I didn't lose much weight. Funny how now that I'm almost 12 years older, I can lose at between 1,500 and 1,800 calories on low carb and I've lost a lot more than I did then. BTW, on the ADA diet, I was maintaining or actually gaining on 1,500 calories before. Since I'm anticipating that you'll say that I was underestimating how much I was eating, I weighed and measured everything I ate while on the ADA diet and unless their exchange rates are drastically wrong, my figures are as precise as they can be.

You also seem to have missed this study: http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet...y.ap/index.html in which the low carb participants lost more weight than those on the standard low fat diet while eating on average 300 more calories per day.

I don't think that anyone will argue that weight loss isn't based on calorie restriction, but it seems that the metabolic advantage that Dr. Atkins spoke of, which simply means that you can eat a bit more on low carb than you could on other plans, still lose weight better and not have to suffer constant hunger pangs and cravings, does exist.

BTW, my bloodwork results (HgbA1C, Total cholesterol, HDL, LDL and Tryglycerides) are far better on low carb than they ever were on any other plan, including WW or ADA. Weight loss issues aside, it would seem that this is the better plan for my health from purely an objective measurement point of view. The only supplements I currently take are an all purpose daily mutivit and some additional calcium/magnesium. I avoid soy. Oh...is being on low carb for going on 3 years long enough for you to consider those results valid?

Having said all that, why do I have the feeling that we're all just helping you write your paper here?