Plan: Atkins
Stats: 236/219/165 Male 5'9
BF:Unknown, sorry
Progress: 24%

Per future RD:

Quote:
Originally Posted by future RD
Faust:
Yes, the subjects weren't as hungry , and that is why they ate less. This means that any weight loss was due to the severe caloric restriction, not the fact that is was "low-carbohydrate". A calorie is a calorie, regardless of where it came from; such caloric defecits will always induce weight loss.

Per the abstract from the study:

Edit to add: Unfortunately, the link to the study's abstract, while free, requires registration. Sorry that I missed this the first time around.

Quote:
http://www.cardiosource.com/library...294&kwhighligh=

Fifty-one overweight or obese healthy volunteers who wanted to lose weight were placed on a very low carbohydrate diet (<25 g/d), with no limit on caloric intake. They also received nutritional supplementation and recommendations about exercise, and attended group meetings at a research clinic.

Emphasis in bold is mine in both of the above.

How can you say they had a "severe caloric restriction," when the abstract of the study specifically states they did not? Alas, I'm unwilling to part with $30.00 of my hard earned money to read the entire thing, especially since I'm unsure how much of it I'd understand, but you seem to be putting words in the mouths of the researchers.

The ketosis/ketoacidosis issue was dealt with by Rosebud. Please respond to her.

Finally, are you going to respond to the other questions I raised? You questioned the methodology of the study, and I was looking for some clarification. I await your response.