View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 17:05

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Thank God for Dr Atkins and Dr Bernstein, my blood sugars are NORMAL, and if anyone can show me a study where type 2 diabetics attained NORMAL sugars with no medication, while consuming 200-300 g carbs per day, then I will eat my (lowcarb) hat. It can't be done, any more than you can reduce a drunk's blood alcohol by giving him 6-10 servings of rum per day.

And I will be right alongside you doing the same. The amount of carbs my registered dietician allowed me as a diabetic borders on criminally negligent and knowing what I know now, it's not a big mystery to me why my blood sugars wound up out of control with my insulin resistance being quite a bit wosened following exactly what I was told to do. My fasting blood sugars seemed to stay normal for a while, but my post prandials swung wildly..I had no fats or proteins to moderate the glycemic index of the foods that I was being told to eat; 2 teaspoons of fat per day and 4 oz. of protein. Any weight loss I experienced was probably largely muscle mass on that plan.
You're right...it makes absolutely no sense to take a person who has a problem with carbohydrate metaoblism by the nature of the disease that they have and tell them to eat mostly carbohydrates and that it's those evil fats and proteins that they must limit instead. Nor does it make much sense to take people who are obese and already have high triglyceride levels and instruct them to eat in a manner that will do nothing to help that problem and in many cases just might make it worse.