#9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 14:12

Plan: I don't
Stats: 134/134/134 Female 67 inches
BF:16.6%
Progress:
Default Faust and Garey: Questions answered

Faust:
Yes, the subjects weren't as hungry , and that is why they ate less. This means that any weight loss was due to the severe caloric restriction, not the fact that is was "low-carbohydrate". A calorie is a calorie, regardless of where it came from; such caloric defecits will always induce weight loss.
Also; a word about why ketosis is an "adverse side effect":
Ketosis is the incomplete oxidation of fat, and is not an ideal situation. With very-low carb diets, the liver's glycogen supply is exhausted (this can happen overnight) in attempt to maintain blood glucise levels, and the brain and the kidneys DEPEND heavily, if not solely, on glucose for fuel.
Beacuse the enrtry of fatty acids into the brain is very limited, muscle strats to be catabolized to provide the materials to make glucose. This loss of lean tissue cannot be maintained long.
Further, very high levels of ketones in the blood will affect an individual's biochemistry and physiology because they are acidic.
Garey:
I am VERY glad that you saw favorable changes in your lipid profile; remember that the reason I posted this article critique in the first place is because I care about public health, so please don't misunderstand my genuine intentions. I see that you have ony been on the diet for 3.5 months; it would be warranted then, for you to see what your lipid profile reflects after 6 and 12 months on this same diet. Also, have you exercised since you've been on the diet? Exercise seems to be the only way to lower TG indefinitely. I wish you the best of luck; my father is on this diet and thats another reason why I care so much!