View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-14-03, 09:43
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Age-Defying
Stats: 170/169/140 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 3%

Thanks millions for the feedback, all of you.

Sporto, I, too, wonder about some of the "experts" and "trainers" out there. While I'm certainly not and expert, either, I do have a functioning brain - and some of what they spout seems odd, at best - dangerous, at worst. But, then again, they have to support themselves with either living clients or a big book deal.
Caveat emptor again raises its ugly head.

Honestly, while I'm not delighted with the conclusion, I think RoseTattoo's trainer is right on the money regarding female body realignment. And it makes sense, given what we know about the reason behind healthy women's fat distribution. (Don't know about you, but when I do lose it, my fat ALWAYS departs my upper body first.)

One of the reason I was getting into such frequent, intense cardio was to improve not only my exoskeletal muscles, but also the ones that comprise my heart and lungs. I find that, after a few weeks of hard cardio, my overall capacity for work improves enormously. (Okay, that's one thing I have going for me! )
Additionally, I've had slight problems with minor, exercise-induced bronchospasm (asthma) since I was a kid. Believe it or not, the harder I work on my cardio, the better I feel.

I do use a cardiac monitor - I have a Polar. Not the highest end model, but it does the trick.

In the past, I lifted five days per week, alternating "upper" and "lower" body; but, recently, having been reading alot about alternative theories, especially "super-slow" and necessary muscle recovery time. I thought that I'd space out my lifting a bit more and see what happened. Perhaps not the brightest idea I've ever had.
Additionally, I've been mixing up my workout to a much greater extent. One arm day I'll try to lift as heavily as I can safely lift, doing few reps. Next, I'll do many reps of light weights. Hopefully, that'll fight off the boredom, too.

I might add, that I don't go to a big, fancy gym. My place is on a small military installation; it's small, cramped, and not the most popular place in the world. (This ain't Fort Bragg!)
Usually, I'm alone and don't want to do anything that would get me in trouble. I've seen WAY too many stupid gym tricks in my time.

I think that I'll try to increase my caloric intake by a couple of hundred calories of lean protien. Frankly, after my Atkins Induction Episode, if I never see a hard boiled egg again, it will be too doggone soon.
There's always tuna fish....
I have no great fear of good fats. My fat of choice when cooking is extra-virgin olive oil.
We eat fish about twice per week, and usually it's the oily variety. Chicken is about twice per week. Lean pork and beef about once each. We're definitely carnivores.
Actually, my one of our favorite dinners is a spinach salad with leftover, grilled bonless chicken breasts, one small sliced apple, walnuts, a sprinkle of blue cheese, oilve oil and vinegar.

Again, thanks for the advice.
What I've really got to do is quit complaining and remember what I have. Although I may not be fully satisfied with it in its current state, my body IS whole and healthy. Got a lot to be thankful for just with that.