View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Thu, Nov-13-03, 14:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Age-Defying
Stats: 170/169/140 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default HE-E-ELP!!! Especially from Sporto and Trainer Dan!!!

After a several month hiatus from serious gym time, I'm back. I'm also frustrated as all get out, and am not getting answers to my dilemna from either my super-fit friends/relatives or the web.

I'm hoping that the fitness gurus who populate this board will be able to assist.

After four weeks of hard work (with a four day break for an out-of-town funeral), I see literally no improvement. No weight loss, a little increased definition, NO reduction in body fat (according to the Tanita in my bathroom) which, as a result of this period of couch potato-hood, is just about over the top.
I've been down this road before, but I've never been able to figure out why my body responds this way.
Usually, after several months of butt busting, my body fat does decrease, but I remain at the weight at which I was when I began working out AND, what's worse, I never seem to acquire really good muscle definition.
If I don't bust butt, well, it all goes to my butt, if you know what I mean.

As an experiment, I've decided to change my program. In the past, I typically lifted every other day for five days in a row, with attendant cardio; then I took the weekend off. Since I've been back, I've switched to a four-day cycle of lifting and cardio. Here's how I've been doing it:
Day 1: 75 - 90 minutes intense cardio, working between 65% and 80% max heart rate.
Day 2: 60 minutes weight lifting (concentrating on arms/shoulders/chest/light abs) and 40 minutes of intense cardio.
Day 3: 60 minutes weight lifting (concentrating on legs/back/abs) and 40 minutes intense cardio
Day 4: 75 - 90 minutes intense cardio
Day 5: Rest

Currently, I'm following a general low carb, Atkin's guided, diet. I'm consuming about 1600 calories per day, about 50-70 grams of high quality carbs - mostly vegs, with some fruit, tofu, yogurt, and whole grains thrown in, and drinking about 3 liters of water. (That 1600 calories is based upon research done with calorie calculators on the web.)

I'm the world's worst morning person, so I typically go to the gym in the afternoon. Which my husband claims is the problem. Others just look at me with pity and murmur, "getting old". (NOT!) Others attribute it to not working hard enough.

So, here's the $64,000 question: WHY am I not seeing any improvement????

I gave up long ago on Angela Bassett arms (and she's two years older than me!!!), but I WOULD like my pants and skirts to fit well.
Doubt bathing suits will never happen, either....
Sponsored Links