#5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-05-01, 07:56
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Thumbs up right you are Deirdre

Cyclamate is an excellent artificial sweetener, remains stable in heat and cooking (unlike aspartame which breaks down and loses sweetness). It may become available in the US in the next two years. It has very little aftertaste as well. And, because it requires only half the maltodextrin filler as Splenda, it's 50% lower in carbs

Cyclamate was all the rage in the mid-70's around the world, until some lab somewhere gave a dose to a rat 10,000 times the normal dose and the rat got cancer. So it was banned in the US. But it's always been available in Canada. It's much less expensive than Splenda or Equal/aspartame. There's a zero-carb liquid version, as well as a brown sugar version. Personally, I think the risk to my health of being obese, diabetes, heart disease, arthritis etc... is greater than my chances of getting rat cancer from the occasional use of cyclamate sweetener.

Nat is right ... mixing sweeteners saves money ... they potentiate each other, increasing the sweet taste ... so you ultimately use less overall. As well, they seem to balance one another, and the taste is improved, no bitter aftertaste. Equal/nutrasweet/aspartame breaks down into aspartic acid and phenylalanine when exposed to heat. This may be the problem folks have with bitter aftertaste when they try to bake or cook with aspartame??

Hope this helps.

Doreen