View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-12-03, 17:52

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Well, looking at the clustering of serum lipid results, it would appear that short of a fanatical low-fat approach like the Ornish or Pritikin diets, cardiac risk is primarily determined by what you weigh.

Actually, cardiac risk in generally determined by a whole host of things including, but not limited to, your cholesterol ratios, your triglyceride levels, family history, smoking history, level of insulin resistance and how active or sedentary your lifestyle is. Your current weight is more of a symptom than it is a cause.
I also didn't see any mention of triglyceride levels which are now thought to be a much better predictor of cardiac risk than either HDL or LDL levels.

Quote:
dedicated people stick with a diet plan for a year or more, they are likely to only lose about 5 percent of their body weight--far less than most dieters anticipate losing. That means, someone who weighs 200 pounds at the start of a diet can realistically expect to lose 10 pounds in an entire year.

This also sounds fishy to me. At my current weight, according to them, I can expect to lose 7.6 pounds in an entire year sticking with my low carb plan. Sounds to me like none of the participants were sticking to their plans "dedicatedly" to be losing less than 1 pound a month. Either that or they picked the most metabolically resistant folks they could find for their study. Especially given the results of this study: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=148478 where those with PCOS who can be some of the most weight loss resistant folks on the planet (and I can confirm that from personal experience), lost nearly 3 times more weight in 24 weeks than these folks did in an entire year.