#9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-08-01, 20:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Default s'truth!

Truly, Doreen, there are many games to be (and apparently are) played in the foods manufacturing business.

Fer instance, just recently our local Save-On Foods (Overwaitea) store started carrying some "sugarfree" candies in their bulk bins. A first. I, of course, am minutely examining the labels of ingredients and counts they so kindly have started providing in the last year [speaks to public pressure, eh?]. Hydrolysed Starch Hydrolysate is the major ingredient in the soft(er) candies. A Ha! says I... a part of my backbrain reminds me that hydrolysing starches is the chemical/manufacturing process for many of the bulk nutritive sweeteners... think I remember that from the Calorie Control Council website and its many definitions of sweeteners, both nutritive (have calories) and non-nutritive (intense or 0-calorie cuz it takes just a teeeeeeeeny amount). And isn't polymer just a term meaning a molecular variation? Therefore a glucose polymer is still a glucose....

Here's an interesting page if one is so inclined, on the process of hydrolysis itself:
http://www.sbu.ac.uk/biology/enztech/starch.html
(and note the term "saccharification", meaning "make sweet" IIDC, and ending up with either Glucose or Maltose syrup. Yup.

I must agree, there's a distinct flavour of creative sweetness calculating going on there. I, too, will consider this a 3 to 3.5g carb per serving treat.

I trust my tongue.

Thanks for keeping tabs on this stuff, Doreen!