#10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-03, 20:08
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Shopping at Wal-Mart

Wal-mart now carries a new line of milk (aka dairy beverage) called Carb Countdown. I bought some tonight on the recommendation of my mom who is also LC'ing. I just had some and it isn't bad. It tastes a lot like reconstituted powdered milk but has only 3g of carbs per 8 oz serving and a lot more protein than regular milk. I think it tastes much better than soy, and would be great on LC cereal.

I don't mind shopping at Wal-mart. I find their prices are decent and their selection good.

Our Wal-mart sells a new line of LC ice cream from Breyers which tastes great. 5 net g per serving.

===========================================

Just some personal opinions on the Wal-Mart controversy mentioned below:

I appreciate the lower prices as well as my local Wal-mart and Sam's Club's regular fund raising for charitable causes. Super Wal-Mart is the #1 grocery store in the nation. Why? Because it is able to regularly sell things at cheaper prices, and allows those of us who shop there to save time and money and take better care of our families. Most of the LC products on the market are home-grown and don't have to do with sweatshops in Bangladesh. Currying the LC market is both lucrative and serves to help our nation get healthier.

Sam Walton was somewhat of a hero in my hometown of Columbia, MO. He was a simple self-made farming man with some business acumen who succeeded in his vision. He built a huge successful corporation.

However, when any corporation gets huge, there's always opportunities to stray from the more warm and fuzzy corporate missions, moreover our fluffy lifestyle in an affluent country depends on the work of others less affluent--which is what capitalism is about, for better or worse--the rosy picture is that others have an opportunity to better themselves, the less-than-rosy picture is that not everyone does.

Fortunately in our country we have a system of checks and balances to try to keep our corporations honest on our soil, particularly with regards to our own workers... it doesn't always work, but at least we are on alert, and sooner or later if violated, they will pay the price.

A lot of times organizations like Wal-Mart (note the article referenced only uses the big name of Wal-Mart as one example and alludes to other corporations--Wal-mart doesn't only get their products from Bangladesh, but from other legitimate local and international companies as well) will sub-contract with other organizations for labor and products due to a successful outsourcing bid (particulalry overseas where labor is proportionately cheap--those workers are probably very grateful for the pennies per hour that they do earn because the economy in those countries is so depleted), but unfortunately those organizations and the countries in which they exist do not necessarily hold to the same social value system or have the same labor rights that we enjoy in this country.

Ideally, in going into those countries for labor, international organizations bring in more jobs and proportionately better wages. Perhaps in the example below, there was a serious error in corporate judgement, but saying the entire corporation of Wal-mart is corrupt and that we shouldn't ever shop there is a bit extreme to me. Wal-mart is one of the largest employers in the world, and I'm sure that not all their employees are angry or neglected.

The social, economic, and political changes needed in parts of the world like Bangladesh and even our close neighbor, Mexico, to address poverty extend much farther and deeper than a few shirts for sale at Wal-Mart. Changing social demographics is about awareness, education, and dedicated constructive (rather than destructive) social and political activism, particularly by the people who are experiencing the problems first-hand.