Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default re- todietfor shake mix

Quote:
Originally posted by IslandGirl
....... I still can't get over how sweet they manage to be, though, even if the carb and calorie count match on the label. Call it my natural suspicious but EITHER the calorie count is wrong too (we assume it's right in the earlier posted method of verifying carb counts) OR I've gotten awfully sensitive to the sweet taste of any sugar at all... which IS possible.

It's definitely the best-tasting Soy blend I've tried so far, though. Perhaps I'm suffering from T.G.T.B.T. syndrome???
hi Judi,

First, I finally found out that HBVP stands for Highest Biological Value Protein - and it's from isolated whey. So that would explain the less soy-ey taste. Their claim for sweetness is indeed the single gram of fructose. Here from the Nu-Life site -
Quote:
todietfor tastes great but does it contain a lot of sugar?
todietfor is a unique weight-loss shake in that it does not contain sugar as the main ingredient. It contains only 1g of sugar per serving compared to other products that may have as many as 20g. todietfor provides only 60 calories per serving, while other shakes can give as many as 300 calories. The common high glycemic index sugars that are normally used in beverage mixes make it more difficult for you to burn away fat.
You can check out the whole blurb at nu-life website's New Products page

It would seem that some rounding up has been done with the figures in the nutrient data. The ingredient list shows only 500 mg of fat and enzymes, which means there's less than 0.5 gm of fat per serving, not 1 gm as is listed in the nutrient data. NOW we can see that the carb count is actually 2 gm total - 1 gm sugar AND 1 gm "other" carb.

I've been curious about the "glucose polymer" ingredient. From Developed.net sports nutrition -
Quote:
Glucose Polymers are a unique source of carbohydrate that is prepared from the enzymatic hydrolysis of selected cornstarch. Glucose Polymers are designed for rapid absorption and utilization, and supply an immediate and sustained level of high energy without causing gastric distress or nausea. .< snip > .USES??? An increased demand for calories. Increasing muscle size. Immediate and sustained high energy. Accelerates recovery. Carbo Loading. ..
Hmmm, ... so do ya suppose this is the source of the "other" carb?? You know, if you add up the weight of ingredients listed, it comes to 15.2 gm. But the label states that a serving is 18.7 grams. There's 3.5 grams unaccounted for... .... except the taste factor ingredients, which includes the glucose polymer.

I think they've done some creative math, and I also think the calorie and carb count is higher than they claim. I'm going to start counting 3 carbs per serving, just to be sure.

Doreen

p.s.- for the record, maltodextrin is a glucose polymer.