Old Wed, Nov-05-03, 08:16
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins/BFL
Stats: 246/215/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcomeau
I am currently in Induction and have really increased the intensity of my workouts. I do a high intensity 30 min cardio routine on the elliptical machine followed by a 30 min weight training routine.

I was told at the gym after weight training that I should have a post resistance or post work out shake. They sell Myoplex Carb Sense Shakes at my gym but I'm not so sure I should have these while on induction. I had one after my work out on Saturday and it didn't throw me out of ketosis. They have 150 calories, 3.5 grams of fat, 3 net carbs and 25 grams of protein. The last ingredient listed is dextrose. They don't contain sugar alcohols. The trainers at the gym insist after a hard workout that you need to have a shake like this.

Should I have the shakes in Induction or not? Help Please!!!

If you suggest not to have the shakes should I wait a certain amount of time after my work out to eat a regular Atkins meal?

If you are looking to build muscle, then a PWO shake is very helpful. I do heavy weight training 3X per week, and always include a PWO shake. If I lift at night (say, 10:00 pm), then I will drink a low carb, high protein shake. If I lift in the AM (5 am), then I will drink a high carb high protein shake.

There are numerous studies that demonstrate the need for a high carb "meal" immediately post work out to help build muscle and speed muscle recovery time (the ratio is 2 carb to 1 protein). Go to any bodybuilding forum and you can see ample evidence of that. Moreover, most weightlifters are incorporating low carb into their diets, and still including the PWO shake.

Essentially, I try to keep my carbs around 30-40 on non-lifting days, and 60-70 on workout days. I have seen tremendous results in muscle gain, and no fat gain.