View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 13:33

Plan: Atkins/BFL
Stats: 260/197/150 Female 5'7
BF:52/42.5/28
Progress: 57%
Default Help...my tummy is so upset

I've been posting this questions all over the forum and I think I've learned that sugar alcohols are causing my upset stomach and severe diarrhea. Atkins bars are a downfall of mine - the Advantage Peanut Butter especially. But I am so sick and if it is the bars causing it, I guess I need to give them up. I haven't noticed a direct link between bar consumption and stomach problems but maybe I'm missing it. I was good for the first 2 months - felt great, but I've had diarrhea for weeks now - should I be taking a potassium supplement just in case? I'm starting to get concerned, and I'm really uncomfortable - never know where or when the cramps will hit. Would sugar alcohols be in anything else? I don't eat any other candy etc., and I use splenda for sweetening coffee and tea. Otherwise I stick to lots of veggies, cheeses, eggs and lean meats. Plus supplements, which I also question - could L-Carnitine, Chromium, Omega 3,6&9, CoQ10 or Calcium/Magnesium be causing this? Also my multi-vitamin has iron. Help! I talked to my doctor and he says it's Irritable Bowel Syndrome and that I should take fibre supplements even though I'm sure I eat lots of fibre in all the veggies - tried that and it was sooooo worse. I first tried Metamucil but then saw it had 3.6 g of sugar/tsp so I bought Psyllium husks and tried - that made me sicker. Now I don't know what I'm safe to eat. My doc also told me not to take Imodium or Pepto or anything else like that because it really messes with your bowels, so I see no relief in sight.
Help!!!!
Sponsored Links