View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Nov-03-03, 12:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

The intestinal symptoms are because the molecules are too large to be digested. It has the effect of a big dose of fiber on those who are not used to it.
I can have one or two sf candies with no ill effects. Since I don't do this every day, or even every other day, I don't worry about it. I don't see how anyone who has these symptoms can make them a large part of their diet. They have definite self limiting effects.
If large amounts of this substance does not have a laxative effect, it means you are digesting them, and the effect on you would be similar to sugar.
Which we all know is bad for you, right?
Sugar alcohols have been used for years in diabetic candy, because of the low effects on blood sugar. I didn't find any studies on them. I think it's because of the self limiting effect.
It's like people eating too many carrots. There is a case on record of a man eating a huge amount of carrots and tomatoes. The only ill effect was that his skin turned orange temporarily. The long term ill effects are not known because most people just don't eat that much of the substance, be it carrots or malitol.